MEN’S COOKING GROUP(MCG)
June 12th – Zoom …. Helpful Recipes
Yummy Multigrain Bread
It has been impossible to find any Bread Mix in the supermarkets lately. So I thought I would try and source a recipe for my Bread Maker that uses White Baker’s Flour, Grains and no sugar . Well that proved difficult as so many American recipes for bread contain sugar. I tried one using honey and egg but it came out 5cm high for a 1Kg loaf – edible but VERY heavy.
So I worked out what I though might work ….and it did. Fabulous tasty lovely grainy loaf. So here is my recipe that I now use.
For 1Kg loaf
- 400ml of water = 400 gm
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
- 500 grams of Baker’s Flour (MUST be Baker’s Flour for higher Protein)
- 1 cup 7 grain bread mix (or 7 Grain Cereal Mix I believe but check)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
Mix flour and grains in separate bowl and put aside for a moment. Place ingredients above in order in the bowl of the Bread Maker – so water first then honey, then salt, then Olive Oil, then flour/grains then yeast. Set Bread Maker to BASIC / CRUST what you prefer/ LOAF e.g. 1Kg. Turn on or set delayed start.
For smaller loaf reduce above as follows:
750 gm loaf – reduce ingredients to 3/4 of the above and set Bread Maker to 750 gm loaf
500 gm loaf – reduce ingredients to 1/2 of the above and set Bread Maker to 500 gm loaf
12.5Kg bag of Baker’s flour available now (May 2020) at Costco – about $11.99
7 grain mix available loose from Full Pantry, Maroondah Hwy, Croydon or other BULK FOODS outlets. (Not sure about supermarkets)
I use a BREVILLE BBM800 Bread Maker Machine. Other Bread Makers might differ slightly. Enjoy your bread.
- 1cup plain floor
- 1cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup golden syrup or honey
- 1/4teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
1. Re heat oven to moderate 180C. Line trays with baking paper
2. Sift flour and sugar into large bowl. Add oats and coconut. Make a well in the in the centre.
3. Combine butter and golden syrup in a pan, stir over heat until butter is melted and smooth. Dissolve soda with boiled water [ it will foam]. Add this to butter mixture. Add this to dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon stir well.
4.Drop 1 table spoon of mixture at a time onto prepared try. Flatten gently allowing room for spreading. Bake for 20 minutes until brown. Remove to cool on a wire rack. ENJOY!
From ‘Family Circle ‘ Vivianne Keys