6 members of MCG met for an enjoyable BYO BBQ lunch at Warrien Reserve on Friday 9th July
Lately, we have limited the men’s Cooking group to 12. We cook in a small kitchen and the closeness to each other and handling food is not a very satisfactory situation with COVID around.
It was decided that due to COVID and the current spread of COVID Delta in NSW (and now Vic), MCG would go into recess until we get closer to COVID Normal and hence it is safe to resume cooking together.
We will closely watch the situation and will reconvene Men’s Cooking Group when it is safe to do so.
Any changes will be notified in Clocking-on, on the Club Website and in emails to MCG members.
Col Pask Convenor MCG 0418 325 240
Yummy Multigrain Bread
It was impossible to find any Bread Mix in the supermarkets during COVID_19 lockdown. So I thought I would try and source a recipe for my Bread Maker that uses White Baker’s Flour, Grains and no sugar . Well that proved difficult as so many American recipes for bread contain sugar. I tried one using honey and egg but it came out 5cm high for a 1Kg loaf – edible but VERY heavy.
So I worked out what I though might work ….and it did. Fabulous tasty lovely grainy loaf. So here is my recipe that I now use.
For 1Kg loaf
- 320ml of water = 320 gm
- 1 Tablespoon Honey = 35 gm
- 1 teaspoon salt (or less if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil
- 500 grams of Baker’s Flour (MUST be Baker’s Flour for higher Protein)
- 2/3 cup 7 grain bread mix (or 7 Grain Cereal Mix I believe but check)
- 2.5 teaspoons yeast (two and a half teaspoons)
Mix flour and grains in separate bowl and put aside for a moment. Place ingredients above in order in the bowl of the Bread Maker – so water first then honey, then salt, then Olive Oil, then flour/grains then yeast. Set Bread Maker to
- CRUST what you prefer
- LOAF e.g. 750gm for above ingredients
- Turn on or set delayed start.
For smaller loaf reduce above as follows:
500 gm loaf – reduce ingredients to 1/2 of the above and set Bread Maker to 500 gm loaf
12.5Kg bag of Baker’s flour available now (May 2020) at Costco – about $11.99
7 grain mix available loose from Full Pantry, Maroondah Hwy, Croydon or other BULK FOODS outlets. (Not sure about supermarkets)
I use a BREVILLE BBM800 Bread Maker Machine. Other Bread Makers might differ slightly. Enjoy your bread.
- 1cup plain floor
- 1cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup golden syrup or honey
- 1/4teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
1. Re heat oven to moderate 180C. Line trays with baking paper
2. Sift flour and sugar into large bowl. Add oats and coconut. Make a well in the in the centre.
3. Combine butter and golden syrup in a pan, stir over heat until butter is melted and smooth. Dissolve soda with boiled water [ it will foam]. Add this to butter mixture. Add this to dry ingredients. Using a wooden spoon stir well.
4.Drop 1 table spoon of mixture at a time onto prepared try. Flatten gently allowing room for spreading. Bake for 20 minutes until brown. Remove to cool on a wire rack. ENJOY!
From ‘Family Circle ‘ Vivianne Keys